What is the Language Endorsement?
Trainers or Technical Assistance Professionals that are proficient in a language other than English have the opportunity to have that competency verified through The Registry. Child care and education professionals can be assured that those who have the Language Endorsement are capable to communicate in the language for which the endorsement was given.
The language endorsement was developed by the Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Community of Practice (CLD CoP) in cooperation with The Registry for professionals in the childhood care and education. The goal of the language endorsement is to ensure that there are linguistically competent trainers and technical assistance professionals working with and providing training to providers.
How can I obtain the Language Endorsement?
- You must first be an approved trainer or technical assistance professional.
- You then complete a 30-45 minute oral test through Language Testing International that will be completed over the internet or the phone. There is a cost for this test as indicated on the website. Language Testing International ranks you on a scale of Novice to Superior. Your score needs to be minimally at an “Advanced Low” to receive the endorsement.
- When you have successfully completed the test, you will receive a certificate of completion verifying your score and passing grade. You will need to send the certificate of completion that the company provides. You may notice that there is an expiration date on your certificate. The Registry will honor your certificate even if it has expired. Note: You will also be given an option to receive an official certificate. The Registry does not require the official certificate, but you may choose to receive one for your personal records if you wish.
- Once you have your Language Endorsement verified, those seeking training or assistance in a language other than English, can search for those that have the Language Endorsement on our statewide training calendar.
What do I need to know about taking the language test?
- On the Language Testing International (LTI) website, click ‘Take the Test’ from the drop down menu under Certifications for Individuals.
- Choose the language for which you would like to receive the Language Endorsement.
- You will then select the test you would like to get certified in. Choose from one of the 2 options for the Speaking test.
- ACTFL OPI $159.00 - 30 minutes
The Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) measures your ability to speak in a particular language. It is an unscripted, approximately, 30 minute conversation on the phone with a Certified ACTFL tester. You will need to schedule a specific time for the phone call. The details can be found on the LTI website.
- ACTFL OPIc $105.00 - 45 minutes
The Oral Proficiency Interview by Computer (OPIc) is an on-demand test that measures your ability to speak in a particular language. Questions are pre-recorded and designed to identify your specific proficiency level. It is a 30 - 45 minute virtual conversation conducted online or by phone. This test requires a proctor to monitor the person who is taking the test. The proctor can be any authorized, responsible individual – ideally a supervisor. The proctor will sign a form and provide it to LTI before the test.
Visit the LTI website for more information on the Oral Proficiency Interview